Today the team of experts at Pantone named their pick for the 2018 Color of the Year. Ultra Violet, a blue-based purple, was chosen for its “complex and contemplative” qualities. The dramatic hue is commonly associated with creativity, royalty, spirituality and the counterculture movement.
“We are living in a time that requires inventiveness and imagination,” said Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute in a statement. “It is this kind of creative inspiration that is indigenous to PANTONE 18-3838 Ultra Violet.”
But is Pantone late to the purple party? Last year, the majority of paint manufacturers featured in our color forecast chose a shade of purple as their color of the year. And Prince, a notable purveyor of purple, passed away in 2016, which would have made last year’s choice an appropriate opportunity to honor the music legend.
Paint chip politics aside, Ultra Violet is a luxe, attention-grabbing hue to integrate into your home decor. Whether you choose to go bold with a velvet, button-tufted sofa or more subdued with a set of agate coasters, the color brings an air of elegance to interior spaces.
1. Soto concave armchair from Joybird, $639.00
2. Agate coaster set from Lulu and Georgia, $45.00
Photo: Lulu and Georgia
3. Throw pillow from Society6, $23.99
4. Area rug from AllModern, $61.99 - $1,79.99
5. Twinkle lights from Cotton On, $8.00
Photo: Cotton On
6. Throw blanket from Crate & Barrel, $151.97
Photo: Crate & Barrel
7. Upholstered diamond tufted headboard from Target, $419.99 - $569.99
8. Tamara 84" sofa from Joss & Main, $1,039.99
Photo: Joss & Main