Along St. Clair Avenue West, more condo buildings have begun to crop up in recent years, and the city’s planning department has been vocal about encouraging this to continue.

However, although a streetcar line has traversed at least part of the avenue’s western stretch since the earlier part of last century, the area abutting it has been predominantly low- and mid-rise for much of its history.

As part of our ongoing then-and-now series — which also includes The Junction and midtown Yonge Street — we’ve lined up James Bombales’ present-day photos of St. Clair Avenue West with historic photos from the City’s archives and Toronto Public Library to show the area’s growth.

St. Clair Avenue West, looking w. from Wells Hill Avenue,1984

Vaughan Theatre, 1950s

St. Clair Avenue West and Dufferin Street, 1920

View of St. Clair Avenue West at Vaughan Road, 1975

The Dominion Bank, southeast corner of Vaughan Road and St. Clair Avenue West, 1912

1069 St. Clair Avenue West, 1959

Dunvegan Road, looking north from St. Clair Avenue West, 1906

Timothy Eaton Memorial Church, 1939

Heydon House, 1927

St. Clair Avenue West and Old Weston Road, 1927

View of Yonge Street south of St. Clair Avenue West, 1974

St. Clair Avenue West at Yonge Street, 1982

Developments featured in this article

More Like This

Facebook Chatter