In some respects, time seems to be standing still in Riverdale, a neighbourhood east of the Don Valley Parkway.

It is, after all, the site of one of the City of Toronto’s Heritage Conservation Districts due to all the century-old homes still standing there. But it is not only historic residences that remain: architectural relics such as the Riverdale Presbyterian Church and the former Don Jail have evaded the wrecking ball for more than a hundred years, too.

To highlight this — and show how heritage-rich neighbourhood has evolved — we’ve compared historic photos with ones from the present as part of our ongoing series that has also looked at areas such as Regent Park and Mimico. James Bombales has taken all the contemporary photos. The historic photos are courtesy the City of Toronto and James Victor Salmon.

Queen St. E., looking e. from King St. E. to bridge over Don River, 1907

Former Don Jail, Gerrard St. E.,1952

Historical photo by James Victor Salmon

Riverdale Presbyterian Church, Pape Ave., 1920

Pape Avenue Public School, 1957

Historical photo by James Victor Salmon

Broadview Hotel, Queen St. E., 1954

Historical photo by James Victor Salmon

St. John’s Presbyterian Church, Gerrard St. E., 1900

Toronto Public Library, Riverdale Branch, 1910

Riverdale Park looking south to Gerrard Street, 1914

Riverdale Park looking north, 1977

Historical photo copyright the City of Toronto

Toronto Skyline at night from Riverdale, 1980

Historical photo copyright the City of Toronto

Developments featured in this article

More Like This

Facebook Chatter