Bloordale Village, which stretches along Bloor Street West from Dufferin Street to Lansdowne Avenue, has been touted as an up-and-coming neighbourhood for some time now.

While holdouts remain — the infamous House of Lancaster strip club and Coffee Time come to mind — echoing the neighbourhood’s shabbier past, it’s hard to deny the change afoot. The writing’s literally on the walls as an increasing number of storefronts now contain trendy bars, restaurants, and cafes. Meanwhile, nearby on Wallace Avenue, a former General Electric plant is now the refurbished headquarters of Ubisoft, a major software developer.

To show the evolution of Bloordale and areas around it, we’ve juxtaposed historic photos from the Toronto Archives and Toronto Public Library with contemporary shots by James Bombales.

Duffy’s Tavern, Bloor Street West, looking west, from east of Margueretta Street, 1960s

Dufferin St., looking n. from Dupont St., 1955

Foundry Lofts 1100 Lansdowne Ave., 1910

Dupont St., looking w. from w. of Lansdowne Ave., during construction of subway under C.N.R. tracks, 1951

General Electric building, Wallace Avenue, 1923

Underpass on Bloor Street west of Lansdowne Avenue, 1932

Imperial Bank of Canada, Bloor Street West and Lansdowne Avenue, 1931

Fire Hall, Bloor Street West and Ossington Avenue, 1952

Bloor Street West and Bartlett Avenue, 1945

Developments featured in this article

More Like This

Facebook Chatter