High Park has been attracting Torontonians to its sprawling green spaces since opening in 1876 and residents have settled near the popular park for more than a century.

We took a look at west end neighbourhoods such as High Park, Roncesvalles and Dundas West to see how they looked back when Queen Street was home to a men’s toggery and horse-drawn sleighs were a good way to get around in winter.

If High Park isn’t your ‘hood, be sure to check out our previous then-and-now posts on YorkvilleSpadina, St. Lawrence Market and the East End.

All present day photos are by James Bombales. All historic photos are from the Toronto Public Library’s digital archives unless otherwise specified.

Bloor Street West near High Park Avenue, looking west, 1914

Source: City of Toronto Archives/Fonds 1244, Item 18

The north side of Deforest Road, between Kennedy Avenue and Runnymede Road, 1900

Bloor Street West and Quebec Avenue, 1923

Dundas Street West, looking southeast from Abbott Avenue, showing Wallace Avenue footbridge, 1951

Queen Street at Roncesvalles, 1959

Photo: City of Toronto Archives/Fonds 200, Item 394

Roncesvalles Avenue and Dundas Street looking north, 1912

Photo: City of Toronto Archives/Fonds 1244, Item 1564

Queen Street West, looking west to Roncesvalles Avenue, 1922

Photo: City of Toronto Archives/Fonds 1244, Item 1564

Developments featured in this article

More Like This

Facebook Chatter