The mink mile is known for its glitzy storefronts and skyscrapers sprouting along Bloor, Avenue Road and Yonge Street. But the downtown neighbourhood’s transformation is all the more impressive when looking at historic pictures from the 1890s to the 1950s.

The growth of Yorkville and its surrounding neighbourhoods is part of our latest series of then-and-now stories looking at specific street corners of Toronto. We’ve matched public domain images from the Toronto Public Library’s digital collection with modern-day counterparts (current photos by James Bombales). Have the Annex and Yorkville changed more than Spadina, St. Lawrence Market¬†or the East End?

See for yourself:

The Church Of The Redeemer at Bloor Street West, northeast corner of Bloor and Avenue Road, 1890s

Yonge Street, looking south from Bloor, 1953

A butcher shop on Davenport Road at the northwest corner of Northview Terrace, the 1890s

The fire hall on Yorkville Avenue, 1952

The Royal Ontario Museum, southwest corner of Bloor Street West and Queen’s Park Road, 1957

Medical Arts Building, under construction, at northwest corner of Bloor and St. George Street, 1929

Park Plaza Hotel, northwest corner of Bloor and Avenue Road, 1954

Church Of The Redeemer at Bloor and Avenue Rd, 1956

Madison Avenue,looking south from Dupont, 1910

Developments featured in this article

More Like This

Facebook Chatter