Chinese highway house comes down after owners accept government’s demolition offer
Perhaps everyone does have a price.
Last week we told you about the house in the middle of a highway in China’s Zhejiang province that was there because the couple who owned it refused the government’s compensation offer to demolish it.
Well, it seems the elderly pair changed their minds.
“Xiayangzhang village chief Chen Xuecai said the house was bulldozed Saturday after its owners, duck farmer Luo Baogen and his wife, agreed to accept compensation of 260,000 yuan ($41,000),” reads an article in the National Post.
“Luo, 67, had just completed his house at a cost of about 600,000 yuan ($95,000) when the government approached him with their standard offer of 220,000 ($35,000) to move out — which he refused, Chen has previously said. The offer then went up to 260,000 yuan ($41,000) last week,” the article continues.
Why did Luo accept the offer?
According to the village chief, “Luo Baogen received dozens of people from the media every day and his house stands in the centre of the road. So he decided to demolish the house,” the Post quoted Chen Xuecai as saying.
The National Post article has all the details and more high-res images of the weekend teardown.